Masters Bridge to Teaching
The Master’s Bridge to Teaching (MBT) programs lead to initial licensure in Indiana for primary and intermediate grades in elementary schools, various secondary subject areas for middle school and high schools, and Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) degrees. They provide pathways for career changers to become elementary, middle school, and high school teachers. Post-baccalaureate individuals who would like to become teachers are invited to apply to the Master’s Bridge to Teaching programs.
The Master’s Bridge to Teaching programs include a concentration in second language learning so that their candidates learn how to include all children, including English language learners, in the social and academic activities of the classroom.
The Master’s Bridge to Teaching programs at Marian University Indianapolis provide post-baccalaureate individuals with the opportunity to become licensed elementary, middle school and high school teachers. The programs encourage participants to transfer theory and life experience into practical application. They are collaborative efforts involving Marian University, several schools, mentors, interns, parents, and the community. The programs:
- organize participants into cohorts that work with mentors in the schools
- include a strong emphasis on cultural and linguistic diversity in today's classrooms
- require participants to demonstrate their abilities
- require self-assessment, inquiry, and reflection as primary strategies for personal learning
- are based on appropriate adult learning strategies
- incorporate the Catholic Franciscan values of dignity of the individual, peace and justice, reconciliation, and responsible stewardship as the moral imperatives for teaching and learning.
Need more information about the MBT program?
Check out our course sequences for the:
Read our Frequently Asked Questions.
Robert J. Kitchens
Director – Indianapolis Teaching Fellows
Director – Master’s Bridge to Teaching
Director - ACTION
Academy for Teaching and Learning Leadership