To be accepted into our music program and be eligible for a music scholarship, you must first apply to and be accepted by Marian University.
If you want to pursue a degree in music and/or are seeking a scholarship to perform in Marian University's Show Choir, marching band, or other ensembles (including our color guard), auditions with faculty members are required
Auditions for 2018-19 academic year will be held on these dates:
- November 17, 2017
- January 26, 2018
- February 9, 2018
To schedule an audition, please email Beverly Day. On campus auditions are preferred. Please contact us if you are unable to come to campus to arrange an audition.
For students who want to major or minor in vocal music
You choose two pieces to sing for the audition:
- One from classical repertoire (i.e., art songs and/or arias oratorio in English, Italian, French, German, or Spanish)
- One from musical theatre or the Great American Songbook
Be prepared to sing scales and repeat short interval patterns. An accompanist will be provided and you will have a brief rehearsal session. Bring a copy of your music in a ringed binder.
For students who want perform with Knight Fusion Show Choir
- Sing one selection from musical theatre, Great American Songbook, or popular music, that shows your vocal ability.
- Be prepared to sing scales and repeat short interval patterns.
- Participate in a brief movement/dance audition
An accompanist will be provided and you will have a brief rehearsal session. Bring a copy of your music in a ringed binder.
For additional information on vocal music and show choir auditions, please email Jeanne Bowling.
For students who want to major or minor in Instrumental Music or performing in Marching Band
Brass and Woodwinds
Each audition is scheduled for 20 minutes and includes an interview. Be prepared for sight reading.
Be prepared to play:
• One movement or etude at a faster tempo, displaying rhythmic and technical skills
• One movement or etude at a slower tempo, displaying lyrical playing (may be movements or large sections from the same work)
• All major scales and a full-range chromatic scale from memory (panel will ask for specific scales)
Each audition is scheduled for 30 minutes and includes an interview. Be prepared for sight reading on snare drum, marimba, and timpani.
Be prepared to play:
• Snare Drum—One solo or etude of student’s choice (example: Delecluse, Albright, Peters, Cirone, Goldenberg, Wilcoxin, Pratt or any equivalent.)
• Marimba and/or Vibraphone or Xylophone—One solo of student’s choice (example: G.H. Green rag, Peters, Stout, Abe, Bach, Smadbeck, Sammut, Musser, Rosauro or any equivalent.)
• Timpani—One solo or etude (for 3-4 timpani preferred) of student’s choice (example: Goodman, Vic Firth, Peters, Delecluse, Schinstine or any equivalent)
• Drum Set (optional)—Demonstration of various styles: rock/funk, jazz, latin (bossa nova, samba, songo, mambo, calypso/soca, etc.) and/or prepared solo
Color Guard auditions are on November 17th and February 9th only.
For information on participating in our marching bands, color guard, or instrumental ensembles, please email Kathy Spangler.