Frequently Asked Questions About Commencement
If you are an undergraduate or graduate student who will participate in the Saturday, May 6 Commencement Ceremony at St. Vincent Field, please review this information for details.
Click HERE for details about the May 7 Marian University College of Osteopathic Medicine (MU-COM) Commencement Ceremony.
Parking is limited. We recommend graduates, family members, and friends carpool to the ceremony if possible. Officers from the Marian University Police Department (MUPD) will direct you where to park when you arrive on campus.
- Those who have disability parking tags should inform an MUPD officer upon arrival. An officer will direct you to accessible parking, which is located at Oldenburg Hall and near the baseball field.
- Contact MUPD at 317.955.6789 for parking-related questions.
What if I cannot attend the commencement rehearsal?
We ask all students to do their best to attend, but if a situation arises that does not allow you to attend the rehearsal, you will be able to pick up your packet containing your three tickets and honors tassel if you have earned honors, starting Wednesday, May 3 at 5:15 p.m. through 8 a.m. the morning of commencement at the Marian University Police Department in the Ruth Lilly Center. They are open 24 hours, seven days a week. Please bring your ID to pick up your packet. Students who do not attend the rehearsal should arrive before 9 a.m. for the line up in the PE Center Saturday morning.
Announcements, Rings, and Diploma Frames
- Information about graduation announcements, diploma frames, and class rings is posted online on the Herff Jones website at http://colleges.herffjones.com/college/_marianin/.
- The Marian University Bookstore also has samples of rings, frames, and announcements.
- Please dress appropriately and respectfully for commencement. No specific color shoes are required. Do not wear decorations or jewelry on the outside of your gown.
- Because the ceremony is held outdoors, please dress accordingly. We encourage students to wear sunscreen and comfortable shoes for walking from the Physical Education Center to St.Vincent Field.
How Long is the Ceremony?
- The Commencement Ceremony generally lasts about two hours.
- If severe weather requires us to move the ceremony indoors, it will be held in the Physical Education Center and tickets will be required. Each graduate receives three guest tickets at rehearsal.
- Weather-related decisions about the location are not made until the morning of ceremony. Graduates will be notified by voice mail if the ceremony is moved indoors.
When Do I Get My Diploma?
- May 2017 graduates will not receive their diplomas during the commencement ceremony but can obtain diplomas in person from the Office of the Registrar (located in Room 104 of Marian Hall) during normal business hours on Monday, June 5 until Friday, June 30.
- Diplomas not picked up by Friday, June 30 will be mailed to the student's home address on file with the university.
- It is the student's responsibility to ensure the Office of the Registrar has the correct student home address to mail diplomas and pictures. If you have moved or changed addresses, please update your home address on the CAMS student portal to ensure your diploma is mailed to the correct address.
August and December graduates will receive their diplomas approximately one month after classes are complete.
- Diplomas are only issued to graduates who have completed all academic work and paid all balances due.