Why earn a degree in chemistry or engineering at Marian?
Find out what you're made of! Our core course sequence provides a range of theoretical concepts and hands-on, applied techniques spanning all major fields of modern chemistry and the physical sciences.
- Chemistry majors will develop a comprehensive, atomic-scale understanding of matter and a full range of laboratory skills that provide you with the ability to work independently as a scientist.
- Dual-degree engineering majors get the best of both worlds. In this five-year program, you will earn a Marian University degree that's firmly rooted in the arts and sciences AND a Purdue University degree that's built on a tradition of engineering and technical excellence and innovation.
Regardless of which majors, minors, and concentrations are right for you, at Marian you'll learn to be a strong written and verbal communicator, big-picture thinker, creative problem-solver, and an excellent collaborator.
What can you study?
Academic programs in our department include:
Choosing a concentration
You can customize your Marian chemistry degree with one of three concentrations:
- Bio-organic chemistry is a rigorous track for pre-professional students who want to go into medicine and focuses on the chemistry needed to understand modern medicine.
- Chemical physics prepares you to probe the structure and dynamics of the molecular world at the interface of physics and chemistry.
- Environmental chemistry emphasizes understanding the chemical and biochemical phenomena that occur in nature.
As a chemistry major, you'll complete required research and be encouraged to pursue independent research opportunities. Our curriculum reflects the latest tools, technologies, and advancements in chemistry and the physical sciences. Expect to be challenged with rigorous courses, study-abroad opportunities, and internships.
Our faculty are here to guide, encourage, and support you every step of the way—you'll be expected to dig deep, but you'll accomplish more than you ever thought possible. And, thanks to our small class sizes, you'll build close relationships with your professors and peers.
Talk to us about how we can help you acquire the knowledge, skills, experience, and values you need for a great career—and a great life.